In December 2014
SMU Professor Mr James T.H. Tang - Dean of School of Social Sciences, welcomed China Scholarship Council (CSC) delegation visit, led by Mr CAO Shihai - Vice Executive Sectary of CSC.
In November 2013
More than 300 business leaders, entrepreneurs, policymakers, researchers, academics and students attended the inaugural SMU China Forum, themed Be China Ready on 13 November 2013 to learn, share and discuss trends and influences shaping the growth and development of China. Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam graced the occasion as the Guest-of-Honour and delivered the Opening Address. SMU Chairman Mr Ho Kwon Ping, SMU President Professor Arnoud De Meyer, and China’s Ambassador to Singapore His Excellency Duan Jielong were among the dignitaries present at the Forum.
In October 2013
SMU President Professor Arnoud De Meyer made a courtesy call on China’s Vice Minister for Education and Chairman of China Scholarship Council (CSC) Hao Ping on 16 October 2013 to discuss PhD program collaborations. At the meeting, Professor De Meyer also met Mrs. Liu Jinghui, CSC Secretary-General, and other officials from China’s Ministry of Education (MOE). SMU will work closely with China MOE and CSC to provide partial scholarships to high quality mainland China PhD candidates to do PhD co-supervision program at SMU and to pursue SMU PhD programs.
In September 2013
SMU partnered Tsinghua University in celebrating the 100th year anniversary of Tsinghua Alumni Association (TAA). SMU and TAA Singapore organized the inaugural seminar where Professor Zhu Yan delivered a lecture and Professor Su Guaning (President Emeritus,Nanyang Technological University) moderated the session.
In August 2013
- During Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong official visit to China in August 2013, the Xinjiang Autonomous Government hosted a lunch for him and the Singapore delegation in Kashgar. During the lunch,Professor James Tang, Emily Hogan and Andrew Chin from SMU shared with the Prime Minister about SMU projects in Kashgar. Since 2011 SMU has sent more than 110 students to set-up 3 different cultural centres to help preserve the ethnic cultures. SMU and Kashgar Teachers College (KTC) signed an MOU on 29 August to co-organize an annual SMU-KTC English Week to cultivate conversational English abilities for KTC students. Prime Minister Lee was pleased to learn about SMU projects and thanked SMU for flying the Singapore flag in the most far western Chinese city, Kashgar.
- Xinhua Net did an exclusive interview with Professor Arnoud De Meyer, and built a news microsite for SMU.
In April 2013
- SMU President Professor Arnoud De Meyer led a 11 member delegation on a fruitful trip to China. The decision to involve the deans and faculty members in the trip proved to be a wise move. An MOUfor Joint Research Centre on Development Studies was concluded and signed with Fudan University within 48 hours of discussion. Altogether SMU signed 13 MOUs with 5 leading Chinese universities (Tsinghua University, Fudan University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics and Sichuan University) during the trip.The trip has indeed become a major milestone of SMU China Initiatives.
- Professor Around De Meyer and Tsinghua University President Professor Chen Jining discussed partnership in research and postgraduate programmes.
- Professor Arnoud De Meyer has delivered a lecture at the Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) Presidential Lecture Series at SJTU President’s personal invitation.
- SMU Vice President Professor Annie Koh delivered a lecture at Conference Board HR Council Meeting in Hangzhou.
In March 2013
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) President Professor Zhang Jie led a delegation toSMU. In addition to speaking at the SMU Presidential Distinguished Lecturers Series, SJTU President witnessed the MOU signing on a joint i-city test-bedding project with SMU President Professor Arnoud De Meyer.
- Sun Yat-sen University President Professor Xu Ningsheng led a delegation to SMU. Both university Presidents agreed to explore joint research partnership projects.
Last updated on 22 Oct 2015 .